Communicating course expectations to students via your course syllabus is important. The university’s recommended course syllabus template has been updated to outline new expectations for students and guidelines for instructors, particularly for in-person courses, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The updated template can be viewed, edited and used via a downloadable Word document or digitally through Canvas:
- Syllabus template in Word
- Syllabus template in Canvas/AEFIS (see the “Course Syllabus/AEFIS” menu item)
- *Learn more about how to use the digital syllabus template.
The template provides required components and recommended components, while specifically addressing policies, resources and information developed to support instruction and learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. It includes both notes to instructors and specific examples of language that instructors may wish to use in their own syllabi. Topics covered include:
- General classroom expectations for both in-person and remote courses
- Face covering guidelines and compliance
- Instructor notification of positive COVID-19 cases within their in-person classrooms
- Supporting academic progress when a student becomes ill and/or quarantined or isolated
- Health and safety guidance for common in-person course activities
- Office hours recommendations
- Diversity and inclusion statement
- Disability accommodations
- Academic integrity statement and use of proctoring